CSIR Consulting and Analytical Services (CAS) unit has vacancies for In-service Trainees/Internships in the Construction Management competence area. The unit positions itself as the strategic science, engineering and technology (SET) partner of government departments and agencies in the built environment. As such, it develops its people to operate as experts in SET disciplines and to have insight and application domain understanding. It contributes to the national need for skilled SET people through programmes with universities, university of technology and industry.
The unit has a number of positions for outstanding undergraduate students or recently graduated students requiring experience in the following competency domains:
- 2 vacancies in Limpopo
- 2 vacancies in the Eastern Cape
- 1 vacancy in Gauteng
- 1 vacancy in Limpopo
- 1 vacancy in the Eastern Cape
- 1 vacancy in Gauteng
- Design, plan and execute projects under supervision.
- Assist with tender, tender adjudication and approval under supervision.
- Assist with procurement of professional service providers and contractors.
- Assist with site inspections under supervision.
- Assist with project administration under supervision.
- Maintain good housekeeping and safety practices in-depth analysis and objective interpretation of data under supervision.
- Contribute to writing reports and manuscripts.
- Contribute to presenting data in a presentation format or orally.
- Perform operational responsibilities including, infrastructure, equipment, GLP and SHE.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- At least one year theoretical component in civil engineering or construction management for all in-service training applications.
- A national diploma or a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or construction management for internship applications.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of theory with the ability to apply knowledge.
- A strong work ethic (e.g. accountability and reliability) and the ability to work under supervision within a dynamic team environment.
- The following competencies are critical for this position:
- Sound technical knowledge;
- Integrity and lateral thinking ability; and
- Knowledge and appreciation of a cross-disciplinary project team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to contribute across the boundaries imposed by classical scientific disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal skills involving the ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally.
Applicants are required to include the following in their application:
- A covering letter indicating which province you are interested in working.
- A copy of a national diploma or Bachelor’s degree along with an academic transcript.
- A copy of an ID document.
Closing date: 31 October 2013
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.