CSIR Defence, Peace, Safety and Security unit has a challenging position for an Intern -Office Assistant in its Radar and Electronic Warfare systems competency area. The competency area is an integrated research group actively involved in radar and electronic warfare systems research and development, focused on defence and security requirements.
A meticulous service-orientated individual is required to provide administration support services to a group of engineers, through a focus on the following:
- General office management
- Key responsibility: Office administration including diary management, messages and client interactions.
- Support to the operations manager with arrangement for environmental, health and safety requirements.
- Allocation of offices for foreign visitors.
- Arrangements regarding IT infrastructure and services.
- Drafting agendas and taking minutes
- Key responsibility: Independently drafting agendas using an understanding of the specific requirements for the meeting and/or drafts minutes using own initiative to best summarise/describe the contents of meetings.
- Customer contact management
- Key responsibility: Liaise with outside clients in a distinguished and professional manner.
- Meeting and event support, logistics and travel
- Give assistance to the events practitioner where necessary.
- Make arrangements for travel (including passports, visa, flights, car rental) and accommodation for both local and international travel.
- Make arrangements for foreign visitors, including accommodation and car rental.
- Data management and quality
- Key responsibility: Use initiative to independently organise and manage documents, such as creating and naming folders/sub-folders to electronically managing document storage for a new project
- Check documents for consistency; general editing with regard to formatting, spelling, grammar and punctuation within the report template.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A national diploma in secretarial or a BA or BTech degree in office administration.
- Proficiency in MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Fluent in English (spoken and written) and ability to function independently within a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, administrative and organisational skills.
- A valid driver’s licence.
Demonstrable competence in the following areas would be preferential:
- Teamwork and initiative taken for responsibilities.
- An understanding and appreciation for diversity with regard to cultural and ethnic considerations.
- Integrity and honesty, as the role will require security clearance and the incumbent will be exposed to sensitive information during formal and informal discussions.
- Sense of urgency and attention to detail.
The Radar and Electronic Warfare systems competency area is dedicated to the development of its team and offers the successful candidate:
- Attention to development, especially towards leadership and improved execution of his or her responsibilities.
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic, highly successful team.
South African citizenship as a security clearance is necessary for this position.
Closing date: 24 October 2013
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.