The National Health Laboratory Service (NLBS) is inviting applications from suitable qualified Biomedical Technology graduates to apply for its Medical Technologist (Student) internships starting in 2014. The internships will last for an 18-month long period and interns will be paid R60 000 per annum.
Interns, who will be placed at the NLBS’s regional offices across the country, will learn to perform these tasks under supervision:
- Check temperatures of lab equipment (fridges, incubators, etc) to ensure that samples are stored at the correct temperature as per SOPs
- Record, label and receive samples for processing as per SOPs to ensure that samples meet all the testing criteria (correct quantity, age, room temperature, etc.)
- Clean and maintain equipment as per SOPs to ensure that equipment is sterile and ready for use
- Perform tests on human tissue/fluid samples under supervision as per SOPs
- Stain samples to check for growth as per SOPs
- Adhere to health and safety procedures in the labs as per the safety manual
- Calibrate and perform relevant controls under supervision on lab equipment as per SOPs to facilitate quality results
- Perform general administrative duties as per instructions.
Key competency requirements:
- A Grade 12 (Mathematics and Science)
- National Diploma in Biomedical Technology
- Registration with the HPCSA as a Medical Technologist (Student)
- Knowledge of laboratory information system would be an advantage
- Technical orientation
- Attention to detail
- Team orientation
- The ability to work under pressure and unsociable hours
- Computer literacy.
How to apply
Please submit applications to the Administrator (Human Resources) via e-mail at email@example.com please quote the reference number and province you are applying for as listed on the table below:
|Regional Office||Reference for applications|
|Gauteng Region||REF. GAU0913/001-01|
|Western Cape Region||REF. WC0913/001-01|
|Mpumalanga and Limpopo Region||REF. MP/LP0913/001-01|
|Eastern Cape Region||REF. EC0913/001-01|
|KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) Region||REF. KZN0913/001-01|
|Free State and North West Region||REF. FS/NW0913/001-01|
Please indicate the relevant reference (see in table above) and job title Medical Technologist (Student) on all applications. Reference checks, ITC and criminal checks will be conducted and the successful candidates may be required to undergo psychometric assessment. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates.
For nquiries may be directed to Tebogo Tena at (011) 885-5400
The closing date for these opportunities is 4 October 2013.
(c) The Bursary Bin owns partial copyright on this article. Reproduction without prior permission is prohibited.