The Natural Products and Agroprocessing Platform at CSIR Biosciences has a vacancy for an intern in Food Sciences and Technology. The Natural Products and Agroprocessing Platform is involved in research to stimulate a combined value chain for natural products and provide a competitive position for the development and commercialisation of products based on locally produced plants. Products include functional and nutritious foods, herbal and complementary medicines, cosmetics and selected industrial products. The position is a contract position for 12 months.
The successful candidate will be an aspirant scientist requiring internship and training in food sciences and technology, will work closely with a multidisciplinary, dynamic team of researchers and will report directly to and work under the supervision of the Science Innovation leader (Food Sciences).
Technical work would involve the detailed planning and execution of experimental work in the area of food sciences and technology relating to food product development, food ingredient microbial and nutritional analysis, formulation and product quality evaluation.
- Design, plan and execute experiments under supervision.
- In-depth analysis and objective interpretation of data under supervision.
- Contribute to writing reports and manuscripts.
- Contribute to presenting data in a poster format or orally.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- The minimum education qualification required is a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Technology degree with emphasis on food microbiology or a related food microbial quality evaluation field.
- Experience in basic laboratory techniques in food and ingredient microbial analysis, proximate analysis, sensory and other food quality evaluations.
- Experience in basic laboratory calculations.
- A strong work ethic (e.g. accountability and reliability) and the ability to work under supervision within a dynamic team environment.
- The following competencies are critical for this position: innovation; sound technical knowledge; integrity and lateral thinking ability; and knowledge and appreciation of a cross-disciplinary project team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to contribute across the boundaries imposed by classical scientific disciplines.
Closing date: 07 February 2014
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
(c) Copyright on this article is exclusively owned by the CSIR. All rights reserved.