The Biomanufacturing Industry Development Centre (BIDC) at CSIR Biosciences is focused on translating research into market-ready products and technologies. The BIDC works closely with small, medium and micro-sized enterprises (SMMEs) to develop market-ready products and to support their entry into the market. This requires a multi-disciplinary approach incorporating market and business development; technology and product development; manufacturing and marketing among others. The BIDC is offering internships in bioprocessing and product development.
Interns will be afforded the opportunity for experiential learning in simulated industrial environments, participating in multi-disciplinary teams to improve their vocational skills and chances of further employment in new start-up companies and elsewhere.
- Design, plan and execute tasks under supervision.
- Analysis and objective interpretation of data under supervision.
- Undertake research, development and manufacturing at various scales.
- Participate in the upkeep of infrastructure and equipment.
- Ability to work flexible hours including shift work and the means to travel to and from work outside of typical work hours.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An undergraduate degree or diploma in biotechnology, engineering or associated fields such as microbiology.
- Postgraduate qualifications and/or relevant work experience would be an advantage.
- A strong work ethic (e.g. accountability and reliability) and the ability to work under supervision within a dynamic team environment.
- The following competencies are critical for these positions: innovation; sound technical knowledge; integrity; lateral thinking ability; and knowledge and appreciation of a cross-disciplinary project team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to contribute across the boundaries imposed by classical scientific disciplines.
Closing date: 04 July 2014
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR is a responsible employer; we have put measures in place to ensure that equity is implemented such that it best serves the interests of the organisation and South Africa as a whole. This speaks to the CSIR’s commitment to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
(c) Copyright rests with the CSIR. All rights reserved.