CSIR Natural Resources and the Environment (NRE) unit conducts world-class, directed inter-disciplinary research and technological innovation, with partners and stakeholders, in the field of natural resources and the environment to contribute to the social, economic and environmental improvement of South Africa and Africa
NRE is looking for an Intern to work in the field of modelling the risks of nanomaterials in the environmental systems where the incumbent will work in a scientific team with multidisciplinary training and experience. The incumbent will be expected work under a considerable degree of independence under the guidance, mentorship and supervision of senior scientists in the Nanotechnology Environmental Impacts Research (NEIR) group.
About the NEIR group:
The group’s research focus is to understand and also in the long term mitigate the potential impacts of nanotechnology-based products and materials in the environment through use of experimental and modelling techniques. In addition, the group has a strong focus on human capital development, as well as creation and dissemination of new scientific knowledge. As part of its activities, the group has established research collaborations with national and international partners. The incumbent will join NEIR.
Be able to demonstrate competence in one of the following identified priority research areas:
- Undertake research in modelling the potential risks of nanomaterials in the environmental systems.
- Gather, organise and analyse data using various modelling tools in a format suitable to generate scientific outputs, such as: journal articles, conference and symposium papers, and technical reports.
- Interact with researchers in the group as this will aid in understanding the dynamics of this emerging domain of research.
- Work independently, but under supervision of senior researchers in the group.
Qualifications, skills and knowledge:
- BSc (Honours) in applied mathematics, engineering or physical sciences, (Master’s degree would be an advantage).
- A broad understanding of developing models using various tools.
- Ability to write technical reports.
- Ability to work in teams (team player).
- Ability to make scientific/technical presentations.
- Ability to report scientific findings.
- Ability to store data in formats.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.