CSIR Consulting and Analytical Services (CAS) unit has Internship/Trainee: Environmental Assessment Practitioners in the Environmental Management Service competence area.
These positions involve the application of a range of environmental assessment and management skills, including environmental impact assessment; environmental management plans; strategic environmental assessment; as well as related skills such as environmental audits and due diligence; monitoring and evaluation; devising sustainability frameworks; and sustainability reporting. These positions are based in Durban and Stellenbosch.
- Conduct independent investigations as well as integrate information from across disciplines.
- Work together with colleagues to develop our environmental assessment and management capabilities, through developing networks, growing our business and building new competencies.
- Coordinate and manage environmental studies, from the proposal and negotiation phases through to public consultation, information collation, report writing and communication of findings, under supervision of a senior project manager.
- Travel regularly both within South Africa and possibly to other African countries.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in environmental science or any related field to sustainable development such as geography, conservation ecology, planning or environmental engineering. A Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Experience in environmental assessment and management will be an added advantage.
- A keen and critical grasp of national and international developments regarding development and sustainability issues, for example, pertaining to infrastructure development, renewable energy and climate change.
- Familiarity with, and experience of, international funding, aid and donor agency contracting processes and project management.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation, institutional structures and environmental assessment, and management practice in South Africa and possibly also other developing countries.
- Experience in application of scientific analytical research methodology, as verified through for example, publication of papers, conference proceedings or book chapters.
- Training and/or experience in proposal preparation, report writing, project management and communication skills.
- Capability in conducting independent investigations as well as integrating information from across disciplines.
- A valid South African Code B or EB driver’s licence.
Closing date: Open-ended
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
(c) All copyright rests will the CSIR. All rights reserved.