The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in a career in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2017 academic year. The bursary will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty-stricken and rural communities. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications funded by the DAFF 2017 Bursary Programme
|Fields of studies||Minimum requirements
(National Senior Certificate)
|1.||B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering)||Mathematics and Physical Science 6 (70-79)|
|2.||Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.)|
|3.||B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology||Mathematics and Physical Science 5 (60-69)|
|4.||B.Sc. Plant Pathology|
|6.||B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science|
|7.||B.Sc. Marine Biology|
|8.||B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology|
|9.||B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture|
|10. National Diploma: Food Technology||Mathematics and Physical Science 4 (50-59)|
|11. National Diploma: Forestry|
|12. National Diploma: Marine Science|
- Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc., Hons., M.Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agricultural, forestry and fisheries fields of study relating to DAFF priority research projects. Successful candidates will be appointed as interns and placed with the relevant industry/research institution/institution of higher learning as young professionals. Successful candidates will also be allocated a mentor and will receive a monthly allowance from the department.
It is worth noting that certain fields of study are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
- BSc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
- BSc. Viticulture and Oenology: University of Stellenbosch
- BSc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
- BSc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
- BSc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture: Rhodes University
- BSc. Entomology: University of Pretoria, Free State and Fort Hare
- National Diploma: Forestry: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- National Diploma: Marine Science: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
- Applicants who apply for fields of study that are not listed above will not be considered.
How to apply?
Applicants must download and complete the relevant bursary application form, For Undergraduate Studies Bursary Application Form CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OR for Postgraduate studies CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD. All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
|The Director: Ms Amanda Shokane||For further enquiries please contact|
|Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X250
|Mr Frans Setseba|
|: 012 319 7848|
|Mr Vusimuzi Mngomezulu||: 012 319 7923|
|Ms Boitumelo Maleka||: 012 319 7024|
Please note that communication will be limited to successful applicants only. If you have not received any communication from the department by 15 January 2017, after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the selection process, consider your application unsuccessful.
Closing date: 30 September 2016