The CSIR has two Internship opportunities for Interns in the New Partnership for Africa’s Develoment- SANBio (Southern Africa Network for Biosciences) Programme within the Biosciences unit. The interns will support strengthening the integration of SANBio data into the NEPAD Science Technology & Innovation Hub (NSTIH) internal data processes under the Industrialisation Science Technology and Innovation (ISTI) programmatic area. These opportunities are based in Pretoria.
For more info about NEPAD SANBio; please visit: http://www.nepadsanbio.org
- Review of Science Technology Innovation, Education and Health Indicators in alignment with African Union Agenda 2063, Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) Southern African Development Community (SADC) and other related AU Policy Instruments;
- Update and finalise the indicator matrices for Science, Technology and Innovation (STI), health and education;
- Develop relevant indicator reference manuals;
- Conduct data-source mapping for the selected indicators;
- Plan, convene and report on the work group meetings;
- Convene the Specialized Technical Groups responsible for STI, education and health;
- Develop data collection instruments;
- Pilot selected indicators;
- Manage and synthesize data collected on the indicators;
- Design templates for data entry, cleaning and analysis;
- Re-design and populate the www.africanhealthstats.com and AU data platforms on STI and education based on the selected indicators;
- Convene training sessions, consultations and data validation meetings with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (REC’s) and other stakeholders on the STI, education and health;
- Update health and education indicators on the NEPAD Agency data platform;
- Capture and clean data from SANBio and NSTIH teams;
- Develop and publish study reports from data analysis;
- Produce policy briefs and other effective communication materials;
- Draft reports, policy briefs and other publications based on the results of data analysis.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in economics, statistics, social sciences
- Knowledge of research methodology, statistical data analysis and reporting is a requirement;
- Knowledge of one of the other SADC working languages would be an added advantage.
- Experience in research including data collection, entry, analysis and reporting;
- Proficient with statistical data analysis packages such as SPSS, Stata, Microsoft Access and any other data analysis packages;
- Maturity and professional ability to handle sensitive information and ability to respect the confidentiality of such information while working with NEPAD Agency;
- Good judgment and analytical ability;
- Proficiency in English is a requirement;
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title and reference number in the subject line, (e.g. John Smith: Job title: Internship: Policy Analysis and Data Management: Reference No: 307342)
Closing date: 15 November 2016
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer; as such committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable can candidate is not identified.