The CSIR has an Internship opportunity in the Communication Office within the Material Science and Manufacturing (MSM) Unit. The incumbent will be responsible for increasing the profile of the MSM and the CSIR, by providing holistic, comprehensive communications support to the units Communications Manager. This includes developing and appropriately packaging written content concerning the organization’s work for dissemination through various media platforms. This position is based in Pretoria.
- Source, develop and appropriately package content in order to effectively communicate the
CSIR’s scientific achievements, research projects, outputs and outcomes, SET Base profiles, social impact, or creation of commercial value for dissemination through various channels platforms, and media. This will include active participation in all layers of the process which includes:
o Conceptualisation: the sourcing, researching, formulating, brainstorming and pitching content matter; as well as planning the execution.
- Copy writing: producing quality copy in short and long formats for various materials and channels – this includes (but is not limited to): press releases, web and intraweb stories, brochures, presentations, advertisements and video.
- Supplier liaison: under the supervision of the communications manager negotiate, plan and liaise with suppliers and service providers to produce final products.
- Protection and promotion of the CSIR brand, encourage adherence to brand standards and coordination of unit brand collateral;
- Offer comprehensive operational support in terms of administrative duties for the communications department;
- Assist in the planning and execution of unit events such as stakeholder visits, conferences staff social events, etc.;
- presentations, brochures, websites, editorial pieces, media releases and newsletters;
- Serve as entry point for enquiries relating to the project;
- Participate in meetings to keep abreast of latest developments, recording of these sessions, communicating outcomes, setting up sessions, including some degree of community liaison;
- Generate and manage content for the project website, the Broadband-4-All wiki and other project-related websites; and
- Contributing to the building of a positive image of the CSIR and its RIA activities and that of its stakeholders.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related fields;
- Knowledge in a field which required science writing as primary deliverable is essential.
- Proven ability to extract information from an interview or document, write in popularised style and deliver a high standard of written work will be an added advantage;
- Proven ability to work in a team;
- Knowledge of social media, and specifically wireless technologies, will be an advantage;
- Willingness to travel to other CSIR sites.
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and surname, position title and reference number in the subject line, (eg. John Smith: Internship: Communication: Reference No: 307813).
Closing date: 06 March 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za