The CSIR has In-service Training opportunities for undergraduates in the Energy Centre. The in-service training programme is designed to provide students with experience and understanding of research and development and the implementation thereof in projects. The programme is spread across various fields, with a strong focus in science, engineering, technology and mathematics. Technical work would involve the detailed planning and execution of experimental work under supervision in the area of Photovoltaic Technology. These opportunities are based in Pretoria.
About the Centre:
The Energy Centre at the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), although still in the ramp-up phase, is the thought leader in South Africa with regard to solutions for the “South African Energy Transition” towards a cleaner and more sustainable energy sector. The Energy Centre currently hosts almost 40 highly experienced engineers and researchers. The vision is to become the first port of call for decision makers in policymaking, industry and science when it comes to the South African energy transition. Current research activities across the Energy Centre are resource and technology-specific research topics in solar and wind power-generation technologies, battery and hydrogen research, energy efficiency and demand response, energy-system planning and operation, as well as energy market design. The Centre is looking for an experienced Chief Engineer/Researcher who will be overall responsible for the formulation and implementation of the energy research agenda for the CSIR.
- Design, plan and execute experiments under supervision;
- In-depth analysis and objective interpretation of data under supervision;
- Contribute to writing reports and manuscripts;
- Contribute to presenting data in a poster format or orally;
- Operational responsibilities including, infrastructure, equipment and SHE;
- Be responsible to develop a cross-cutting approach to model energy costs across different energy sectors, including energy efficiency (i.e. costs of not consuming a certain amount of energy).
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Studying towards a national diploma in physics or electrical engineering at an NQF level 6;
- Experience in basic laboratory techniques in semiconductor technology, electronics, product development, product testing or associated fields will be an advantage;
- Good demonstration and in-depth understanding of theory, with the ability to apply knowledge into practical;
- A strong work ethic and the ability to work under supervision within a dynamic team environment;
- Must be innovative, have sound technical knowledge, integrity and lateral thinking ability;
- Knowledge and appreciation of a cross-disciplinary project team environment;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to contribute across the boundaries imposed by classical scientific disciplines.
To apply for these Physics/Electrical Engineering Internships at the CSIR CLICK HERE
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more information, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.