The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa is looking for a hard-working, enthusiastic and motivated person to be appointed as: Animal Collection Intern: Animal Welfare.
The successful applicant will be expected to assist with a number of projects relating to Animal Welfare for the NZG’s animal collection in conjunction with the Animal Collection Manager. These include but are not restricted to:
- To develop and conduct Animal Welfare audits of the zoo enclosures.
- To assist with investigations into Animal Welfare concerns as they arise.
- To assist with co-ordination and implementation of Animal Welfare mitigation strategies as they arise.
- To assess and develop current Environmental Enrichment protocols and application.
- To assess and develop Animal diet protocols.
- Present reports at meetings and symposia on occasion to staff and management.
The incumbent may be expected to work occasional weekends.
This post reports directly to the Manager: Animal Collections and Conservation. This is an 18 month internship.
- BSc (Honours) or BTech in Zoology, Nature Conservation, Animal Health OR Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (DVN).
- 1 year experience at an Animal Welfare organisation, rehabilitation centre or other captive wildlife facility.
- Competent in Microsoft office software: Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
- The successful candidate must have a strong interest in Animal Welfare and be able to display this interest through previous projects, volunteer work and/or experience.
- The candidate must be able to conduct independent research and be able to critically analyse scientific papers.
- The candidate must be able to write scientific reports.
Enquiries can be directed to: Mrs T. Rehse: Manager: Conservation, 012 339 2782
Applications should be forwarded to:
HR PRACTITIONER: TALENT MANAGEMENT; Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: Animal Collection Intern: Animal Welfare
The closing date for this vacancy is 26 January 2018
The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa is committed to employment equity and redress. Should you not hear from us within three weeks after the closing date, please consider your application as having been unsuccessful. Candidates that previously applied for this position need not to re-apply.