The National Zoological Garden is looking for well-qualified, hard-working, enthusiastic and motivated persons to be appointed as:
Biobank Interns will observe, learn and perform the basic Biobank functions by receiving practical training from the Biobank Personnel. In addition to laboratory functions and work-place experience, the Interns will be trained on temperature monitoring, stock control and will also be required to perform administrative tasks. The Interns will also be exposed to various disciplines within the Research and Scientific Services department, as well as learning presentation, computer and database skills.
The individuals will also provide support for various Biobank functions, including but not limited to:
- Assist in the daily management of the Biobank
- Provide support to scientists, students and staff in terms of samples
- Assist in the management of data associated with samples
- Assist in technical aspects related to the Biobank including equipment and infrastructure maintenance, quality control and assurance, SHE standards, maintenance an updating of policies, procedures and manuals, digitising data, record keeping, updating and maintenance of technical databases (chemical and consumables).
- BSc or other relevant tertiary qualification
Skills & Behavioural Competencies
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and email)
- Written and oral communications skills
- Organisational and planning skills
- Effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills
- Share knowledge and work in a strong team oriented environment
Interested applicants are requested to send applications (with a cover letter and comprehensive CV) to the address below. Short-listed candidates who are invited to an interview will be expected to demonstrate proof of the above key competencies and minimum requirements.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY ONLINE FOR THIS INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME.
Applications should be forwarded
The National Zoological Garden, South African National Biodiversity Institute is committed to employment equity and redress. The NZG reserves the right not to fill this position. Should you not hear from us within 30 days from the closing date consider your application as being unsuccessful. Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates.
Tel: (012) 339 2700