About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Research Group Leader: Network asset management systems in the Transport Systems Operations competence area, within the Smart Mobility Cluster. The research group seeks to generate new knowledge and contribute towards methodological and technological improvements in the development and implementation of systems aimed at optimising the total costs of owning and operating transport network infrastructure. Systems currently in place include the CSIR Bridge Management System, self-regulation system in the transport industry/Road Transport Management System for the heavy vehicle transport industry, performance-based standards for heavy vehicles, and abnormal loads management. The main purpose of this position will be to provide leadership with regards to increasing the impact of the research group through science, engineering and technology (SET) excellence in areas that include sustainable transport infrastructure management, data science applications in infrastructure management, industry collaborations, and transport foresight research. This position is based in Pretoria.
For more information about the impact area and cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/smart-mobility
- Continuously build the research group to be responsive to current and future transport challenges, within the transport sector and in the context of supporting industrial development;
- Implement a business plan for operations, sustainable growth and robustness of the research group (including strategy, goals, mission, HR, finances) and establish the research group as a national leader in transport network asset management, with international recognition;
- Attract appropriate levels of funding to support the financial viability of the research group;
- Propose, plan and implement Parliamentary Grant (PG) and other grant-funded projects, in consultation with the Competence Area Manager (CAM) to enhance the technical strength of the research group;
- Manage projects and programmes through robust and integrated planning;
- Coordinate deliverables to fulfil project requirements;
- Conceptualise innovate solutions to fulfil project and programme requirements;
- Project coordination planning with the relevant team members and researchers to ensure projects are on brief, budget and time;
- Identify and develop new science engineering & technology (SET) capabilities required for business and impact growth;
- Manage the quality of the outputs (i.e. proposals, reports, client presentations, etc.) to ensure they are of a high standard;
- Build and maintain client responsive teams.
What are the requirements?
- Good understanding of transport and the transport sector in South Africa;
- Registered professional scientist or engineer would be an added advantage;
- Ability to work in a methodical manner is essential;
- Ability to carry out strategic stakeholder interactions at all levels;
- Demonstrated ability to secure research funding;
- Excellent business management skills (i.e. budgeting, establishing networks, excellent people skills, etc.);
- Excellent presentation skills (i.e. able to present ideas, concepts, plan and procedures);
- Excellent people management skills (i.e. mentorship, coaching diversity and diversity management);
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills;
- Demonstrated track record of the ability to work accurately, independently and efficiently.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za. Please do-not send your application to this mailbox
How to apply?
To apply for the CSIR: Network Asset ManagementSystemsInternship CLICK HERE