Are you a recently graduated social work graduate? Are you looking for an internship opportunity? Social Work Internship (12 Months) opportunities for 1,210 unemployed recently qualified Social Workers are available at Wits Health Consortium in ALL PROVINCES.
In response to the Minister of Higher Education’s call to SETAs to avail funding to support the Health and Social Sectors during the COVID 19 pandemic, the HWSETA has made funding available to recruit 1210 recently qualified unemployed Social Workers to participate in a national internship programme.
In collaboration with the Department of Social Development, National Department of Health and Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Ltd as project manager, the Social Worker interns will be deployed at various health and social development centres in all 9 Provinces, to mitigate the social and health consequences of the pandemic.
Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (“WHC”) is a wholly owned company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg under its Faculty of Health Sciences. WHC provides Faculty with a legal framework within which to operate the research and other activities necessary to support its academic objectives. In addition WHC offers a range of products and services to the Academics conducting these activities in order to assist with the management thereof.
Main purpose of the internship
- To provide unemployed social work graduates with an opportunity to work alongside experienced social workers to gain practical and vital experience and insight into social issues, whilst providing social work services to health care and social development users.
Required minimum education and training
- An accredited degree in Social Work (accredited with South African Council for Social Service Professions and the SAQA and Council for Higher Education).
- Registered with SACSSP (registration assistance will be provided where needed).
- Candidates must be South African Citizens.
- Candidates must be unemployed.
- R 5 000 per month.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided.
- Interns based at quarantine sites, will be provided with accommodation where needed.
The intern social worker will be supervised by a designated supervisor to perform the following responsibilities:
- Provide crisis intervention and psycho-social support to health care users as needed.
- Provide individual and/or group social work services for children, adolescents, elderly and persons with disabilities.
- Provide support to staff in reporting suspected cases of abuse and neglect to the Department of Social Development.
- Assist in identifying and linking clients requiring social support to social service agencies and follow up on applications made for social support.
- Support the work of the Ward Based Outreach Teams.
- Perform home visits and assessments as and when required.
- Maintain ongoing communication with other service providers and social service agencies to ensure that services needed by health care users are provided.
- Complete promptly, necessary records, forms and reports and maintain records as needed.
- Continue professional growth by updating knowledge of current legislation, health and social development policies and current social work practices.
- Coordinate food programmes and other support at community level.
- Any other activities as identified by the provincial coordinators working in health and Department of Social Development
To apply click on the province you wish to be placed in, in the table below:
|Province of placement||Application Link|
|Limpopo||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|Gauteng||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|Mpumalanga||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|KwaZulu-Natal||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|Northern Cape||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|Eastern Cape||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|North West||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|Free State||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
|Western Cape||CLICK HERE TO APPLY|
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 03 June 2020.
- AJ Personnel will only respond to shortlisted candidates and request the candidate via email to complete a link that will be send to them. Your ID document and CV will then have to be uploaded within this link.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising and shortlisting of the candidates on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
SCAM ALERT – PLEASE BE AWARE! NOT AJ PERSONNEL OR ANY REPUTABLE AGENCY NOR ANY CLIENT WILL ASK MONEY FOR INTERVIEWS. NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY INTERVIEWS OR OFFERING YOU A JOB!!! – DON’T BE SCAMMED!!!