The CSIR has an Internship opportunity for Self-Contained Self-Rescuer Laboratory in the Mining Testing and Training Impact Area within the Mining Cluster. The SCSR laboratory is the only approved testing authority in South Africa to perform functional performance testing and monitoring of SCSRs through monitoring programme. SCSRs are personal protective equipment designed to protect the underground miners’ respiratory system against inhalation of hazardous atmosphere during emergency escape. The SCSR laboratory tests a representative sample of SCSRs from the mines to assess their structural integrity and life-saving potential. The position is based in Johannesburg.
For more information about the Future Production: Mining Cluster click on the below https://www.csir.co.za/future-production-mining
Under supervision, the intern will be required to:
- Conduct leak testing of SCSRs;
- Test set-up and safe operation of lung breathing simulator machines;
- Carry-out calibration of gas analysers and lung breathing simulators;
- Inspect SCSRs before testing;
- Perform functional testing of SCSRs;
- Ensure accuracy of test information;
- Record all test results including leaking tests;
- Compile test graphs and test certificates;
- Conduct structural testing of the SCSRs;
- Uphold good laboratory practice and housekeeping in the laboratory;
- Contribute to create and maintain a healthy and safe work environment;
- Assist fellow employees in other areas of the laboratory when required;
- Assist in the relevant administration work;
- Comply with Quality Management System, ISO 9001 standard, SANAS requirements, Department of Mineral Resources and Energy regulations and customer needs;
- Observe and control man-tests;
- Carry-our routine cleaning and basic maintenance of laboratory equipment to minimise down time; and
- Ensure that all measuring equipment is correctly calibrated
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A National diploma in Mechanical Engineering;
- One year exposure in a mechanical testing laboratory environment will be an added advantage;
- Must have good understanding of test methods and procedures;
- Must be able to pay attention to detail and the ability to work accurately and well under pressure;
- Must have good interpersonal skills;
- Must have strong sense of responsibility;
- Must be computer literate and competent in MS Office;
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- Technical aptitude to understand the operation of equipment and test software on the computers; and
- Exposure in ISO 17025 training and/or ISO 17025 accredited laboratory would be an advantage.
How to apply?
To apply for the 2020 CSIR SCSRs Internship CLICK HERE
Closing date: 30 June 2020
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.