CSIR Consulting and Analytical Services (CAS) unit has Internship/Trainee: Environmental Assessment Practitioners in the Environmental Management Service competence area.
These positions involve the application of a range of environmental assessment and management skills, including environmental impact assessment; environmental management plans; strategic environmental assessment; as well as related skills such as environmental audits and due diligence; monitoring and evaluation; devising sustainability frameworks; and sustainability reporting. These positions are based in Durban and Stellenbosch.
- Conduct independent investigations as well as integrate information from across disciplines.
- Work together with colleagues to develop our environmental assessment and management capabilities, through developing networks, growing our business and building new competencies.
- Coordinate and manage environmental studies, from the proposal and negotiation phases through to public consultation, information collation, report writing and communication of findings, under supervision of a senior project manager.
- Travel regularly both within South Africa and possibly to other African countries.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in environmental science or any related field to sustainable development such as geography, conservation ecology, planning or environmental engineering. A Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Experience in environmental assessment and management will be an added advantage.
- A keen and critical grasp of national and international developments regarding development and sustainability issues, for example, pertaining to infrastructure development, renewable energy and climate change.
- Familiarity with, and experience of, international funding, aid and donor agency contracting processes and project management.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation, institutional structures and environmental assessment, and management practice in South Africa and possibly also other developing countries.
- Experience in application of scientific analytical research methodology, as verified through for example, publication of papers, conference proceedings or book chapters.
- Training and/or experience in proposal preparation, report writing, project management and communication skills.
- Capability in conducting independent investigations as well as integrating information from across disciplines.
- A valid South African Code B or EB driver’s licence.
Closing date: Open-ended
CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
To provide the Environmental Project Team with technical and administrative assistance.
· BSc or BSc (Hons) degree in Environmental Science/ Environmental Management or equivalent tertiary qualifications.
· Must be fluent in Afrikaans
· Must have valid driver’s license and own car
Key Responsibility Areas
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
· Document drafting
· Data analysis and capturing
· Attendance of meetings
· General administrative duties
CLOSING DATE: 17 MAY 2013
The Department of Environmental Affairs have internship opportunities throughout South Africa. The number of opportunities available to graduates is 85.
||No. OF OPPORTUNITIES
|CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER: PRETORIA
- Legal and Administration
- Finance and Administration
- Information Technology/Information Management
- Development Studies/Research/Monitoring and Evaluation
- Customer Relationship Management
- ND: Journalism
- ND: Communications
- Diploma: Media Studies
- Diploma or degree in Graphic Design (preferably a student trying to attain his/her qualification)
||CO-ORDINATION AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT: 5
- Junior Qualification: Environmental Science/Environmental Management
- Qualification: Environmental Education and Skills Development background
||OFFICE OF CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER: 6
- ND: Logistics Management /Purchasing/Finance/ Commerce or equivalent qualification
- ND: Logistics / Procurement/Supply Chain Management
- 3-year diploma or degree with Accounting as a major
|OCEAN AND COAST: CAPE TOWN
- 6 ND: Analytical Chemistry
- 2 BSc Marine Science/Zoology/B Tech Oceanography
- 3 ND: Oceanography
- 1 ND or BSc degree in Environmental Science or Oceanography Studies
- 2 Pollution and Waste/Environmental Science
- 2 BSc Zoology
- 1 ND: Town Planning
- 2 MSc
- 1 BSc Natural Science/ND: Environmental Management
10.1 ND: Human Resources Management
11.2 ND: Finance Management
12.2 ND: Public Admin/Business Administration/Asset Management
|CORPORATE AFFAIRS: PRETORIA
||1 LLB 2 Infrastructure, 2 Business Solution: IT degree/diploma1 Learning and Development
1 Transformation 2 Recruitment, 1 Job Evaluation, 1 Employee Wellness
|ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY PROTECTION: PRETORIA
||3 Regulatory Services: Environmental Law
|BIODIVERSITY AND COSERVATION: PRETORIA
||1 Sciences (Specialising in Cultural/Natural Heritage Management/ Environmental Management)2 Protected area planning and management (Environmental Management/ BSc Conversation/Conservation Biology/Nature Conservation)
2 TFCAs (Microbiology and/or Zoology and Botany/Conservation Biology)
1 Bachelor’s degree in Natural Sciences
|NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT: CAPE TOWN
||1 Degree Socio-Economic/Entrepreneurial Development1 Degree in Communications
2 Degree in Environmental Education
3 B Tech: Financial Accounting or BComm Finance
1 Degree in Natural and Environmental Science (with ArcView and GIS)
|Region 1: Gauteng
||1 Degree in Biological Science/Entomology1 Degree in Biodiversity and Conservation
|Region 2: North West
||1 Public Relations – Awareness and Campaigns/Stakeholder Liaison
|Region 3: Northern Cape
||2 Degree/Diploma in Environmental Science
|Region 4: Free State
||1 Degree in Natural and Environmental Science (with ArcView and GIS) 1 Degree/Diploma in Finance and Logistics Management
|Region 5: Limpopo
||2 Degree/Diploma in Environmental Science
|Region 6: KwaZulu-Natal
||2 Degree/Diploma in Natural Science
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS INTERNSHIP?
Applications must be submitted on a Z83 form with a copy of a comprehensive CV, certified copies of qualifications and ID document in order to be considered. Please forward it to the Director-General, Department of Environmental Affairs, Private Bag X447, Pretoria 0001, or hand-deliver to: 315 Pretorius Street, cnr Pretorius and Van der Walt Streets, Fedsure Forum Building, 1st Floor, Room 106, Information Centre, North Tower, for the attention of the Learning and Development Division.
The National Department of Environmental Affairs is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. It is the applicant’s responsibility to have their foreign qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Correspondence will be limited to successful candidates only. If you have not been contacted within three months after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. The Department reserves the right not to make an appointment.
CLOSING DATE: 13 January 2012
Enquiries contact: Joshua Moepya, tel. (012) 310 3763
Maria Tjiana, tel. (012) 310 3052
Phindhani Maphete, tel. (012) 310-3288
Call Centre: 086 111 2468.