The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries intends awarding comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/ or
intending to further their studies in critical scarce skills in agriculture, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2013 academic year. The bursary will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty stricken and deep rural communities. Females and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
|Fields of studies||Minimum requirements (National Senior Certificate)|
|1. B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering(Agricultural Engineering)||Mathematics and Physical Science 6 (70-79)|
|2. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc.)3. B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology
4. B.Sc. Food Science
5. B.Sc. Plant Pathology
6. B.Sc. Agric Soil Science
7. B.Sc. Agric Agronomy
8. B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
9. B.Sc. Geo-informatics
10. B.Sc. Marine Biology
11. B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology
12. B.Sc. Ichthyology specializing in Aquaculture
|Mathematics and Physical Science 5 (60-69)|
|13. National Diploma: Food Technology14. National Diploma: Forestry
15. National Diploma: Oceanography
|Mathematics and Physical Science 4 (50-59)|
|16. Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc. Hons, M.Sc. and Ph.D) in different agriculture, forestry and fisheries study fieldslinked to DAFF priority research projects.|
1. It is worth noting that certain fields of studies are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
• B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering ( Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu –Natal
• Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc): University of Pretoria
• B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology: University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science :University of Stellenbosch
• B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
• B.Sc. Ichthyology specializing in Aquaculture : Rhodes University
• National Diploma: Forestry : Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
• National Diploma : Oceanography : Cape Peninsula University of Technology
2. Applicants must be South African citizens.
3. Please download the application form (download the UNDERGRADUATE BURSARY APPLICATION FORM by clicking here OR the POST-GRADUATE APPLICATION FORM by clicking here) and fill it and send it back to the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
4. Successful candidates will be informed from 25 January 2013 after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the
selection process. If you do not hear from us by end of January 2013, consider your application to be unsuccessful.
5. All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be
sent to the following address:
Attention: Mr Philemon Mathebula
Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X250
For further enquiries please contact
Mr Thabang Sephai : 012 319 7923
Ms Tshilidzi Netshilema : 012 319 7848
Mr Kaizer Ndlovu : 012 319 7358
NB. (i) The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries reserves the right to determine the total number of bursary allocations for the
academic year based on the total budget available.
(ii) The National Bursary Committee will make use of the Bursary Scheme’s 14 point system to allocate points to shortlisted applicants.
(iii) The Bursary Scheme of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is in fulfillment of the sector strategic objective of
elimination of skewed participation in the agriculture, forestry and fisheries sectors.
Closing date for all applications: 30 September 2012