The African National Congress Parliamentary Caucus’s support service has a Political Research and Development Unit which is responsible for:
- Coordinating research support to Clusters, Study Groups and individual ANC Members of Parliament;
- Providing strategic leadership in the drafting, analysis and presentation of research information;
- Providing research support to the Office of the Chief Whip;
- Providing induction and training of researchers;
- Providing political analytical documents on a range of subjects;
- Providing political advocacy to the Office of the Chief Whip and Caucus; and
- Implementing tasks related to the PMDS, research planning, research standards, and political education for researchers.
Overview of the programme
The ANC Caucus internship programme is aimed at providing additional capacity to the Research and Development Unit of the ANC Parliamentary Caucus in its research and legislative responsibilities. The internship programme will offer graduates and postgraduates students and those with equivalent experience the opportunity to acquire practical work experience through mentoring and exposure to a research environment and interactions with Members of Parliament. This will provide a platform to enhance their insight into the legislative arm of the state, issues of governance, policy oversight, legislative drafting and will simultaneously deepen their research skills in a dynamic environment.
This opportunity is also offered to those unemployed graduates and postgraduates who are interested in research management; research support and administration in the public sector.
University graduates with Bachelor’s, Honours, B Tech, M Tech or Master’s degrees may apply and those who have equivalent research experience but who may not be certificated in recognition of prior learning and experiential skills.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Unemployed South African graduates and postgraduates from institutions of higher education or those with equivalent research experience and are established members of the African National Congress in the followings fields and willing to be placed in the internship programme of the ANC Parliamentary Caucus:
- Political Science;
- Development Studies;
- Public Administration;
- International Relations; and
- Research and Development.
Candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Successful applicants will be placed in the seat of parliament in Cape Town and may be required to perform tasks as part of the learning process in other provinces in the country with their mentors.
The internship programme is offered for a period of 12 months.
Successful candidates will be required to sign an internship contract for the duration of the internship period.
Interns will receive a monthly salary ranging between R5 771.70 and R 7 695.60 per month, depending on the level of qualification or experience.
How to Apply
Apply by e-mail
A covering letter, a comprehensive CV, proof of ANC membership in good standing. Please scan in and attach certified copies of qualifications, academic record, SA ID to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday, 1st November 2013
Applicants must note the following:
- Failure to adhere to the above requirements and furnishing of the required documents will automatically disqualify the application.
- Applicants should consider their application unsuccessful if they not receive any response within four months from the application date as correspondence will only be limited to short-listed candidates.
- No applications received after the closing date will be considered.
- No faxed applications will be considered.
Telephone number: 021 403 3351
Cellphone number: 079 514 8215
For more information, please visit our website at www.anc.org.za/caucus
NB: The ANC Parliamentary Caucus reserves the right not to make an appointment.