The CSIR’s intern programme aims to provide newly-qualified professionals with the opportunity to gain in-service training at the CSIR, one of South Africa’s leading research organisations. CSIR Information Services (CSIRIS) in Pretoria invites newly-qualified professionals to apply for a Library and Information Science Internship. This contract position is for a period of 12 months.
- Perform intermediary tasks such as literature searches, reference interviews and dissemination of information (making use of Sabinet, the Internet and an up-to-date range of electronic resources such as journal platforms)
- Scan, analyse subject literature
- Build effective relationships with internal clients
- Use technology to develop innovative services and products
- Gain sound knowledge of the administrative tasks that form the backbone of an effective information service to scientists
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A first diploma or degree in library/information science
- Computer literacy
- Experience in using library web 2.0 technologies will be an advantage (at least one year)
- All of the following are desirable:
- Desire to experiment with new technology, products and services;
- Drive to succeed;
- Passion for knowledge and knowledge generation;
- Ability to transfer knowledge and to empower or enable other;
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Planning and organizing skills;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Problem solving skills; and
- Project management skills.
Closing date: 14 July 2014
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
The CSIR is a responsible employer; we have put measures in place to ensure that equity is implemented such that it best serves the interests of the organisation and South Africa as a whole. This speaks to the CSIR’s commitment to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
(c) Copyright on this article rests solely with the CSIR. All rights reserved.