The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in critical scarce skills in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2019 academic year. The bursary will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty-stricken and rural communities.
|Fields of study||Minimum requirements
(National Senior Certificate)
|1. National Diploma: Food Technology
2. National Diploma: Forestry
3. National Diploma: Marine Science
|Mathematics and Physical Science 4 (50-59)|
|4. B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering
5. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.)
|Mathematics and Physical Science 6 (70–79)|
|6. B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology
7. B.Sc. Plant Pathology
8. B.Sc. Food Science
9. B.Sc. Entomology
10. B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
|Mathematics and Physical Science 5 (60–69)|
|14. Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc., Hons. M.Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agricultural, forestry and fisheries field of study relating to DAFF priority research projects. Successful candidates will be appointed as interns and placed with the relevant industry/ research institution/institution of higher learning as young professionals. Successful candidates will also be allocated a mentor and will receive a monthly allowance from the department.|
- It is worth noting that certain fields of study are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology/Plant Pathology: University of Stellenbosch
B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture: Rhodes University
National Diploma: Forestry: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
National Diploma: Marine science: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
- To download the Undergraduate Bursary Application Form CLICK HERE; and to download the Postgraduate Bursary Application Form CLICK HERE
- Applicants who apply for fields of study that are not listed above will not be considered.
- Please note that communication will be limited to successful applicants only. If you have not received any communication from the department by 15 January 2019, after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the selection process, consider your application unsuccessful.
- All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X250
For further enquiries please contact:
Mr Vusimuzi Mngomezulu : 012 319 7923
Ms Boitumelo Maleka : 012 319 7024
Ms Silindelo Dlomo : 012 319 7848
(i) The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries reserves the right to determine the total number of bursary allocations for the academic year based on the total budget available.
(ii) The National Bursary Committee will make use of the Bursary Scheme’s 14-point system to allocate points to shortlisted applicants.
(iii) The Bursary Scheme of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is in fulfilment of the sector strategic objective of elimination of skewed participation in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors.
Closing date for all applications: 30 September 2018