The Department of Basic Education is pleased to announce that recruitment for Phase II of the Basic Education Employment Initiative will open on 27 September and close on 03 October 2021. The department seeks to provide 287 000 unemployed young people, (+/-192 000 Education Assistants and +/- 95 000 General School Assistants) employment and training opportunities in the education sector, as part of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative (PYEI) – Basic Education Employment Initiative (BEEI), which forms part of the Presidential Employment Stimulus (PES), seeking to mitigate the devastating economic challenges brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
What are the requirements?
In order to be considered, candidates should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Youth between the ages of 18 and 35;
- NO Matric required for General School Assistants;
- People apply for the Education Assistants positions should have Matric
- Must be NOT be receiving a grant, or working or studying, and must not be receiving NSFAS funds for studies;
- If you are getting SRD R350 grant you may will have to cancel it when you start working;
- To qualify as an Education Assistant, you must have passed matric English, while an NQF Level 4, 6 and 7 qualification certificate, will be an added advantage. However, for placement as a General School Assistant, a matric certificate is not required for Infrastructure Support and Sports and Enrichment Agents, although Trade certificates will be an added advantage;
All successful candidates will be placed in schools for 5 months, from 1 November 2021 to 31 March 2022, for the following available opportunities:
- Education Assistant – Curriculum
- Education Assistant – ICT/e-Cadres
- Education Assistant – Reading Champions
- General School Assistant – Child & Youth Care Worker
- General School Assistant – Handyman (no matric required)
- General School Assistant – Sports and Enrichment Agent (no matric required)
How to apply?
Closing date: 03 October 2021